Port Allegany students

Our History

“Still stands the school house by the road.”
- Dedication program, March 19, 1956


1834    First schoolhouse erected
1868 East Mill Street school erected
1887 Mill Street school burned
1888 Church St. constructed and quickly filled to capacity
1905 Plans adopted for school on Main St
1912 High School granted rank of first class
1924 Main St. building burned
1952 Church St. building burned
1952 Arnold Ave. constructed
1954 Oak St. building begun
1955 Port Allegany Union School District formed
1955 First classes held in Oak St. building
1956 Oak St. building completed and dedicated; approximately 1,500 students enrolled

 



Our History

Port Allegany School District serves the students of Port Allegany and surrounding areas in kindergarten through 12th grade. We’re proud of the work and contributions to this community by our Gators, past and present.

Steeped in tradition spanning over 180 years, the Port Allegany School District continues to perpetuate its goal to provide an education and facilities that our children deserve. We are committed to recognizing the potential in each student while providing an educational environment that promotes personal responsibility, respect for self and others, and the development of a life-long love of learning.


In Our Time

“The history of our school is the history of our community…When we look in retrospect at those days of long ago, there may be a bit of sadness prompted by a nostalgic urge to live again those happy days…we realize we have reached a new horizon in education and can rejoice in the knowledge that our children will face the future prepared for it, and that we have seen the new tomorrow today.”
Taken from the dedication program dated March 19, 1956.